There is nothing quite like the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven. This beautifully golden brown, soft, and slightly sweet Brioche can be enjoyed anytime of year!
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
Additional time: 2 hours
- 1 cup cashew milk (sub with any other non-dairy milk)
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour (sub with spelt flour if preferred)
- 2 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 tbsp of light agave syrup (or maple syrup)
- ½ tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp agave syrup (or maple syrup)
- In a small saucepan add milk, coconut oil and maple syrup and bring to a low simmer. Pour into a large bowl and wait for it to cool down a bit, until warm to the touch. Stir in yeast and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes until foamy.
- Stir in 1 cup of flour and salt. Stir in ½ cup of flour at a time, stirring in-between. Mix until it becomes difficult to stir. Transfer dough onto a floured surface and knead into a smooth, soft dough for about 5 minutes. You’ll be able to stretch the dough.
- Oil a large bowl with a little bit of coconut oil (or avocado/vegetable oil) and place dough into it. Turn it a few times to prevent the dough from drying out. Place a dish towel, then a plate on top of the bowl and let it sit in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough onto a floured surface and divide into three equal parts. Roll out each part into a longer strain leaving the middle part of the dough a bit thicker than the two ends. Now make a braid with these three strains and tuck the ends underneath so they are no longer visible.
- Place the braided dough onto the parchment paper and cover with a dish towel. Let it sit for another 30 minutes in a warm place to rise again.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush dough with a vegan egg wash (agave syrup mixed with milk) and sprinkle with sliced almonds if you like. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Let finished bread cool for about 10 minutes and then glaze again with a little bit of agave syrup before serving if you like. Serve with a fresh glass of non-dairy milk. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to two days.