This Apple Pie recipe combines the sweet, tender flavors of baked apples with the warm spices of cinnamon and nutmeg. Featuring leftover pecan pulp for a delicious twist!
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 2 ½ cup gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free baking flour was used for this recipe. Other brands can be used, but results may vary.)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup cold vegan butter (cubed)
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 apples (cored, peeled and sliced)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup pecan pulp (from pecan milk)
- 2 tbsp applesauce (optional)
- lemon juice (1 lemon)
- pinch of nutmeg
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and salt. Add cubed cold butter and incorporate it into the flour using a pastry cutter. It will resemble coarse sand.
- Add in the water and vinegar and combine with a spatula. Knead the dough with your hands until it holds together. Wrap dough or place in an airtight container and refrigerate for an hour.
- In the meantime prepare the apple filling. In a medium sized bowl combine all ingredients and let sit.
- When you are ready to use the dough, roll ⅔ of the dough out (⅛ inch thick) into a 10-12 inch circle onto a floured surface.
- Place dough into a 9 inch pie plate. Press it lightly into the dish and up on the sides. Trim the edges of the crust and crimp the dough using your fingers.
- Fill the pie with the apple filling and preheat oven to 375 F.
- To prepare the lattice top crust, roll out the rest of the dough until ⅛ inch thick. Slice into 1 inch strips using a knife. Place the strips on top one at a time and weave them in and out of each other.
- Crimp the edges and brush with some extra vegan butter and sprinkle off with some extra granulated or coconut sugar and place in the oven for about 45-50 minutes.
- Allow your pie to cool for at least 45 minutes before slicing.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 day.