- 2 cups shredded sweet potatoes (about 1 medium potato)
- 1 small leek (or ½ large), white parts only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sweet potato pulp (from sweet potato milk) - freeze the rest for smoothies!
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional for spicy)
- 1-2 tbsp cooking oil for frying
- vegan yogurt, plain or mixed with a little fresh lemon juice
- fresh herbs, like dill or parsley
- squeeze of lemon
- Combine the shredded sweet potato, thinly sliced leeks, sweet potato milk pulp, brown rice flour, salt, and spices in a bowl and mix well. Cover for 20 minutes to allow the natural waters in the raw sweet potato to develop. If after 20 minutes the mixture is still too dry, add additional pulp 1 tablespoon at a time. If too wet, add more rice flour 1 tablespoon at a time. When the fritter mixture is ready to cook, it will stick to itself but will not be soaking with liquid.
- Preheat about 1 tablespoon of cooking oil like avocado or coconut oil in a large nonstick frying pan. Form fritters into small discs about ¼ inch thick using about a ¼ cup of mixture per fritter.
- Cook over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature on their own or make a meal and serve over a bed of greens with a drizzle of cool non dairy yogurt, pinch of fresh herbs and squeeze of lemon.
Note: Fritters can be baked instead or fried for about 30 minutes at 425F, turning once midway through. Cooked this way, the fritters will not be as crispy or golden brown.