Use your leftover pulp and milk in these Blue Velvet Cupcakes with Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting. The perfect amount of sweetness and creamy frosting makes for a delicious dessert!
Servings: 12 cupcakes
Cashew Flax Milk
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp flax seeds or meal
- ¾ cup cashew/flax milk (from above recipe)
- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 ¼ cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 batch cashew/flax pulp (about ¾ cup)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp blue powder (for color)
- 1 cup (½ batch) Almond Cow vegan cream cheese recipe*
- ½ cup vegan butter, slightly softened to room temperature (make sure it is not melted!)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups organic powdered sugar, more if needed
- ½ cup cashews, soaked
- ½ cup cashew pulp (from cashew milk)
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (solid part from a can of coconut milk)
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- ¼ lemon (squeezed juice)
- probiotic powder from 1 capsule or 1 tbsp of probiotic plant-based yogurt
DirectionsCashew Flax Milk
- Make cashew flax milk using your Almond Cow.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a muffin tin with 12 baking cups, set aside.
- Combine the required amount of cashew/flax milk and vinegar. Stir and let sit a few minutes until it curdles.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the cashew/flax milk and vinegar mixture, cashew/flax pulp, vanilla extract, and blue powder. Stir completely until everything is combined and there is no blue powder clumps.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently whisk together until the batter is evenly hydrated and fairly smooth (trying not to overmix).
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin so that they are 3/4ths of the way full, filling all 12 muffin molds evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost with vegan cream cheese frosting. Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge for later.
- Make vegan cream cheese (see below for directions).
- In a large mixing bowl, add the slightly softened vegan butter and beat with a hand mixer or stand mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Add cream cheese to the bowl and beat for 30 seconds to 1 minute to combine with the butter. Do not overbeat, as this can cause the frosting to become runny.
- Beat in the vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until thick and spreadable.
- If your frosting still seems a bit too soft and runny for spreading, stick the bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes. Take it out, stir, and put it back in the freezer for another 15 minutes if needed, until a thick consistency is reached.
- Place cashews in a medium bowl and soak for a minimum of four hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse cashews and place in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients except for the probiotics.
- Blend until very smooth, scraping down the sides with a spatula.
- With your spatula spoon cheese mixture into a glass container that has a lid. Stir in probiotics and cover.
- Let sit out on the counter (unrefrigerated) for about 36 hours to give it the tangy flavor of a dairy cream cheese. If you don’t want to wait that long, add 1 tbsp of plant-based probiotic yogurt instead of the capsules and use in cream cheese frosting recipe after cooling in the refrigerator.