You can't decide between cookies and brownies? Use your leftover pulp to create this delightful Brookie Tart. It combines a cookie crust with a brownie filling- Completely vegan with a gluten free option!
Prep Time: 45 min, Baking Time: 35 min, Cooling Time: 30 min
- Rectangular tart pan 14 x 4.5 inches (35 x 11.5 cm), removable bottom (or a round tart pan with a similar size and volumetric capacity)
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour (sub with gluten-free 1 to 1 baking flour)
- ½ cup raw cane sugar (sub with classic refined sugar)
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp (4.5 oz/125 g) vegan butter
- ¼ cup almond pulp, well drained (from almond milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp vegan chocolate chips
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax meal + 6 tbsp water)
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips, melted
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp (3 oz/85 g) vegan butter
- ½ cup raw cane sugar
- ½ cup almond pulp, well drained (from almond milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour (sub with gluten-free 1 to 1 baking flour)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup almond milk
- vegan chocolate chip cookies (store-bought or made from leftover cookie dough)
- 1 ⅔ cups (7.5 oz/210 g) powdered sugar
- ½ cup (3.9 oz/110 g) vegan butter
- 1-2 tsp blue spirulina powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Step 1 - Cookie Crust
Sift the flour into a bowl and put aside.
In a second bowl, add sugar, vegan butter, pulp, and vanilla.
Mix with a hand mixer until combined.
Add flour and salt, and knead into a dough.
When the dough comes together, gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Form into a ball, and let it chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Step 2 - Brownie Filling
Start by preparing two flax eggs: In a little bowl, add two tablespoons of flax meal and 6 tablespoons of water. Mix to combine and set aside.
Melt ¼ cup of chocolate chips in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water or in the microwave.
Mix flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
Add vegan butter, sugar and pulp into a second bowl and whisk with a hand mixer for 2-3 minutes.
Add the flax eggs, melted cooled chocolate, and vanilla. Continue mixing until glossy.
Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ones and fold them in carefully.
Add almond milk and mix just to combine.
Step 3 - Assembly
Preheat oven at 350°F/180°C.
Grease your tart pan with a little butter.
Roll out the cookie dough (about 1/8 inch/4 mm thick) and carefully transfer it into the tart pan. If it breaks don’t worry, just make sure to press it nicely into the tart pan.
If you have leftover dough, you can cut out cookies and bake them, after you’ve baked the tart, for about 8-10 minutes. Store it in the fridge until using.
Fill the brownie batter into the prepared tart crust and smooth it down with a spoon or spatula.
Bake for 30-35 minutes. If the brownie filling begins to crack, reduce the heat to 338°F/170°C.
Let cool down completely before carefully removing the tart from the pan..
Step 4 - Decoration- Making the Buttercream (Optional)
Add vegan butter, sifted powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a bowl and slowly start mixing with a hand or stand mixer.
Increase speed and continue mixing until you get smooth buttercream.
Add 1-2 tsp of blue spirulina powder to create a nice light blue color. Mix to combine.
If the consistency of your buttercream is too thick, add a little almond milk. If it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar.
Add buttercream frosting to a piping bag with a star tip and decorate the tart with chocolate chip cookies and buttercream dots.
Step 5 - Serve and Enjoy!
Cut into slices and ENJOY! Store leftovers in the fridge.