A classic cake from Germany transformed into a tart. Use your leftover pulp to create this delightful Black Forest Tart - it’s vegan, gluten free and full of flavor!
Prep Time: 50 min, Baking Time: 12-15 min, Cooling Time: 6 hrs
- round tart pan with a removable bottom (diameter 9 inches/22-23 cm)
- metric cups (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 ½ cups oats, gluten-free if needed
- ½ cup hazelnuts (sub with almonds)
- ¼ cup almond pulp, well drained (from almond milk)
- 5 ½ tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and cooked (from a jar/can)
- 1 cup cherry juice
- 1 tsp agar agar powder (sub with gelatin powder for non-vegetarian)
- 2-4 tbsp kirsch (cherry brandy), optional
- 7 oz (200g) silken tofu, drained
- 5.3 oz (150g) vegan dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup vegan whipped cream
- 1 package (0.3oz/8g) cream stiffener
- 1 package (0.3oz/8g) vanilla sugar, optional
- 10 fresh cherries with stem
- 2-3 tbsp vegan dark chocolate shavings
Step 1 - Crust
For the crust, add hazelnuts into a food processor or high-speed blender and pulse for a few seconds to get smaller pieces.
Add oats, drained almond pulp, cocoa powder, maple syrup and coconut oil. Process for a few seconds until you get a moist crumbly mixture. Scrap down the sides (if necessary) to help the dough come together. If the mixture doesn’t start to form a dough, you can add another tablespoon of melted coconut oil.
Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
Firmly and evenly press the dough in bottom and up the sides of a greased tart pan.
Bake for 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
Step 2 - Cherry Kirsch Layer
Add cherries, cherry juice and agar agar powder to a sauce pan and stir until the agar agar powder has completely dissolved.
Heat up the mixture and let simmer on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
Take it off the stove and stir in up to 4 tablespoons of cherry brandy (optional). For a light cherry brandy taste, I recommend 2 tablespoons; if you want a stronger flavor, I recommend 4 tablespoons.
Allow the cherry filling to cool down for 20 minutes, then pour into the prepared tart crust.
Refrigerate for 2 hours until the cherry layer becomes firm.
Step 3 - Chocolate Mousse Layer
Melt the chocolate over hot water.
Add all the melted chocolate, drained silken tofu, maple syrup and melted coconut oil to your blender. Mix until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides with a spatula in between.
Carefully spread the chocolate mousse on the firm cherry layer and allow it to set in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Step 5 - Serve and Enjoy!
ENJOY & store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days.