Use your leftover pulp to make this dreamy Valentine's Day tart. It combines strawberries and raspberries with white chocolate and a hint of rosewater - all gluten and dairy free of course.
Servings: 8 slices
Prep time: 40 min (tart) + 30 min (candied rose petals)
Cook time: 15 min
Cooling time: minimum 5 hours
- heart shaped (or round) tart pan with a diameter of 8-9 inches/20-23 cm, removable bottom
- a soft pastry brush
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free oats
- ½ cup almonds
- ¼ cup almond pulp, drained (from almond milk)
- 5 ½ tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp agave syrup (sub with maple syrup)
- 4 oz (120g) raspberry, strawberry or mixed berry jam (with a high amount of fruit)
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries, sliced & compacted
- ¾ cup fresh raspberries
- ¼ cup almond pulp, drained
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 3-4h or overnight
- ¼ cup coconut cream (*solid part of a can full fat coconut milk stored in the fridge overnight)
- 3 tbsp agave syrup (add more for extra sweetness)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 6 oz (170g) vegan white chocolate
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp coconut cream* (see above)
- 1-2 tsp rosewater
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp water
- 24 organic pink rose petals
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
For a 100% vegan tart omit the candied rose petals and use berries or dried edible roses for decoration.
Start by soaking the cashews in water for 3-4 hours or overnight.
Step 1 - Candied Rose Petals
Whisk the egg white and water in a small bowl.
Carefully pick up a rose petal with your fingers and lightly brush both sides with the egg/water mixture using a soft pastry brush.
Sprinkle sugar onto both sides and place the petals (in a single layer) onto a cooling rack lined with parchment paper.
Let them dry overnight, then store in an airtight container.
Step 2 - Crust
To make the crust grease your tart pan with coconut oil and preheat your oven at 350F/180C.
Add almonds and oats to a food processor or high-speed blender and pulse until combined.
Add almond pulp, melted coconut oil and agave syrup and process into a moist crumbly mixture. (If it doesn’t start to stick together you can add another tablespoon of melted coconut oil).
Firmly press the dough into your tart pan. Don’t forget to press up on the sides as well.
Prick the bottom of the crust with a little fork.
Bake at for 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden. Allow to cool completely.
Step 3 - Jam Layer
Spread a thin layer of your favorite berry jam on the crust and put aside.
Step 4 - Berry Mousse Layer
Slice the strawberries and drain the cashews.
Add them together with the raspberries, almond pulp, coconut cream, agave syrup and melted coconut oil to your blender and mix until smooth and creamy.
Carefully pour the mixture onto the jam layer leaving a little space for the white chocolate layer.
Let set in the fridge for 3h or until the layer has firmed up. (You can shorten the waiting time by putting it in the freezer instead.)
Step 5 - White Chocolate Layer
Melt the white chocolate over hot water.
Add coconut cream and stir until well combined. Don’t worry if the mixture gets a brown color here, it will brighten up again once it gets firm again.
Let cool down a few minutes before adding the rosewater. Start with 1 teaspoon and if the flowery taste is not noticeable yet you can add another teaspoon.
Spread the mixture carefully onto the berry layer.
Let set in the fridge for another 2 hours.
To get the best result and pretty layers leave the tart in the fridge overnight before cutting and serving it.
Decorate with candied rose petals and fresh or frozen berries. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Enjoy!